Wash beetroots thoroughly and cut the greens off.
Cut onions, celery stalks, carrots and beetroots into cubes. Heat some oil on a frying pan and cook until the onion turns translucent. Then add tomato puree and cook for 5-7 minutes.
Add water to a pot and bring to a boil. Add finely shredded cabbage and beetroot greens, chopped green bell peppers and cubed zucchini and bring everything to a boil. Cook for 5-10 minutes and then add sauteed vegetables.
Add peppercorns, cook for 5 more minutes and remove from heat.
You will need:
- Water – 6 cups
- Beetroot with greens – 8 oz
- Fresh green cabbage – 7 oz
- 1 carrot
- 1 white onion
- ½ green bell pepper
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 zucchini
- Tomato puree – 5 tablespoons
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- 5 peppercorns
- Salt – to taste
- You can use ¼ celery root instead of a celery stalk
- You can serve borscht and sprinkle with chopped celery greens, dill and green onions.